No matter where you live or travel, it’s important to have the prescription medications you need. To help make this possible, your TRICARE pharmacy benefit is available worldwide. But overseas, your pharmacy options may vary.
“In some areas, you may have access to military pharmacies, TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery, and retail network pharmacies,” said Melanie Richardson, pharmacist in the Division of Pharmacy Operations at the Defense Health Agency. “But sometimes, non-network pharmacies will be your only option for getting prescriptions abroad.”
Knowing about pharmacy options can help you choose an option with lower costs. As described in the TRICARE Pharmacy Program Manualyour costs are based on how you fill your prescription, your benefit status, and the prescription drug category.
Whether you live overseas, or are thinking of moving or traveling here, read on to find out more about using your pharmacy benefits.
Where: US territories of Guam and Puerto Rico and some countries outside the US. Use the Find a Military Hospital or Clinic tool to see if there is a military pharmacy near you.
Quantity and costs: You can get a 90-day supply of most covered drugs. You will have no out-of-pocket costs.
- Call the pharmacy to see if your prescription can be filled there. Some drugs are not available in military pharmacies.
- Your prescription must be from an authorized and licensed health care provider.
- Some military pharmacies only fill prescriptions from military providers.
- US territories, including APO and FPO addresses
- Overseas, if you have an APO, FPO, or DPO address
- Not available in Germany
Quantity and costs: You can get a 90-day supply of drugs covered with free standard shipping. Active Duty Service Members (ADSM) have no charge. All other eligible beneficiaries pay home delivery co-payments.
- Prescriptions must be from a US health care provider.
- Prescriptions that require refrigeration typically cannot be shipped to the US territories of American Samoa, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands or other overseas locations.
- You can manage your home delivery prescriptions online or with the Express Scripts Pharmacy mobile app.
Where: All US territories except American Samoa. Use the Find a Pharmacy tool to find a retail network pharmacy near you.
Quantity and costs: You can get a 30-day supply of a covered drug for one copayment or a 90-day supply for three copayments. ADSM do not pay anything.
More information: If you are not an ADSM, you cannot refill certain maintenance drugs in retail network pharmacies after two refills. If you live in the United States or a US territory, you must refill via home delivery or at a military pharmacy after two refills.
Where: Available worldwide – all retail pharmacies in American Samoa and locations outside the United States and other US territories are non-network pharmacies.
Costs: You will pay the full price for your prescription in advance. Then you can file a claim with International SOS, the overseas TRICARE contractor, for reimbursement. Refunds are subject to costs, copayments, deductibles and other costs.
TRICARE does not cover over-the-counter (OTC) drugs outside the US and US territories. This includes drugs that are OTC in the United States that require a prescription in another country. Plan ahead! Before you travel, make sure you do the following:
- Fill all the prescriptions you need during your trip. Contact your doctor if there is no refill.
- Make sure you have enough of each medication for your entire trip. If you need extra medication, you can request an early refill. If you live in the United States, call Express Scripts. If you live in a US territory or overseas, call SOS Internationale.
- And don’t forget – if you lose or forget your medication, you can call for help. Call Scripts Express if you live in the US OR call SOS International if you live in a US territory or overseas. You may need to fill your prescription at a non-network pharmacy.
Learn more about filling prescriptions when traveling and taking care when traveling.
Need more information about the TRICARE Pharmacy Program? Check out the TRICARE Pharmacy Program Manual.
Want the latest TRICARE news delivered to you by email? Visit TRICARE subscriptionsand create your custom profile to get benefits updates, news and more.
#TRICARE #Prescriptions #Overseas
Image Source : newsroom.tricare.mil